St. Raymond Parish History
St. Raymond Parish began in 1842 when Reverend John Hughes obtained property and converted an old wooden barn into a temporary church. Construction of the new church -- the first Catholic Church in the Bronx -- began in 1843. It was dedicated on August 31, 1845, the feast of St. Raymond Nonnatus, thus getting its name. St. Raymond Church greatly expanded over the next 50 years and the original Church could not hold the 2,000 parishioners. Many parishioners had to stand at Mass because the church was over capacity. On August 4, 1897, ground was broken for the new Church, which could accommodate everyone. The new Church of St. Raymond was dedicated on October 23, 1898 and still stands today.